Monday, January 21, 2013

Fun, Sun and Good Times


Friday afternoon I packed my bags and hopped in mom’s car for a four hour drive to St. George! After lots of laughter, bad singing, conversation and a nice stop in Beaver, we finally arrived in St. George.  The original plan was for me to just watch mom complete the half marathon, but at 9:00pm the night before I decided to do the 5k as well. Since I hadn’t packed any running clothes we bought some at the expo! Wohoo! Also, ironically it happened that Tanner and his Dad were on the way to Mesquite and stopped in St. George so the four of us had dinner together. The greatest was that we told the waiter it was Tanner’s birthday so they brought out dessert and sang to him. It was hilarious because Tanner hates that stuff.



The drive was probably the best part




I think it was a moose? Just hitching a ride to St. George

We stayed at “Grandma and Grandpa” Keel’s house (these adorable older couple that has brought in my mom several times each year for the races) The minute we walked in, cute Grandma Keel kissed our cheeks and said, “mi casa es su casa” Let me just tell you how amazing this woman is, she about 80 years old and madly in love with her husband, they’ve served 3 missions, her tiny house consists of no doors but curtains that separate the small kitchen, from the bathroom, from their room, and the family room. We walked into the family room and she had pulled back the covers for the beds she made for us. As I laid there I looked around at the walls covered with handmade rugs, pottery and photographs. And then slept like a baby…

Next morning we woke up, said our goodbyes to our sweet Grandma and went to the race. Mom started her half marathon, after stressing her guts out haha, and I started my 5k right after. I wasn’t planning on going fast or even do the entire thing without stopping but once I get by a 7 year old kid or an old grandpa there is NO WAY I’m gonna let them beat me haha. My competitive instinct kicked in. For a while I was in close pace with this girl next to me, and I wanted to beat her so I totally busted my butt to pass her and thought I was going to vomit haha (shows how out of shape I am). I finished and whatever, felt fine, did some homework and watched mom cross the finish line! She did great! Got 2nd in her age group! Good job momma! Mom wanted to check my time and I didn’t really care because I was just having fun, but we looked on the paper and I ran it 2 min faster than my fastest time. Haha and got 3rd in my age group! Sweet! Haha. It was a fun time






We then went to this delicious restaurant and Sweet Tooth Fairy.. and then… the best part of the day, we went to see Les Miserables. OH MY GOSH. I wish I was a good enough writer to truly explain how amazing this movie was but you’ll just have to see it yourself to feel those emotions. Pretty much it’s a movie that truly tests one’s moral decisions and makes you feel deep emotions about redemption, love, the gospel, and sacrifice. Just go see it!



It ended up being such a great time. And i was so lucky to spend time with THE most amazing woman in the world!


Chels 

No comments:

Post a Comment